Best Interest Assessor qualification
Eligible professions in adults social care are for those employed by Southwark Council as:
- Social Workers (those who are AMHP trained after 2009 are already qualified as BIAs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Chartered or registered psychologists.
Please note the application process appears here.
2 This is a five day course, with two large assignments, and you must be able to shadow a BIA on their assessment to support you in your assignments. This could be at short notice. Dates are January 15, 16, 29, 30, 31. You must be able to attend all of the five dates.
3 Your line manager should discuss your suitability with appropriate managers and be ready to update the link by email after you have applied using the short course form.
To be suitable to complete the qualification, ie, more than two years qualified as a social worker or OT and able to rise to the challenge of an academic qualification.
That there is an understanding of the council's investment in this training and it is expected to be used as part of your core duties.
You agree to undertake at least one refresher course every year, to maintain the BIA designation.
4 Adults' services panel to agree the sponsorship.
5 When your sponsorship by the council has been agreed you will be sent a university application form, which you will need to get back to us before the 22nd December.. You are not able to amend your start date.
The qualification you receive will depend on your prior qualification. Eligibility is at least two years practice, and satisfactory completion of any post-qualifying courses to date sponsored by Southwark. The qualification has two major assignments, which are at post-graduate level.
Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) GCPP
General Certificate in Professional Practice (GCPP) - "consolidation" in mental health
This five day course is one of the prerequisites for the Approved Mental Health Professional qualification below. Another is the BIA qualification. Further information about the GCPP in mental health
You will need to:
- Discuss the AMHP course with the AMHP Lead with an informal interview
- Complete the Council's sponsorship form and send this to Organisation Development
- Complete the university's application form which is to be sent to Organisational Development who will then forward to the University
- On admission complete the additional learning needs interview.
Approved Mental Health Professional qualification (AMHP)
Social workers employed by the Council are able to progress their learning after the GCPP with the Advanced Mental Health Practice qualification. The application process is open and the details are below.
Please identify the cohort and discuss with your manager.
- Inform the AMHP Lead of your interest, and undertake an informal discussion about your suitability.
- Complete a Southwark sponsorship form available on this site, and await approval from OD
- Complete a Bournemouth University application form and send it to OD, who will send this form to the university.
- Please ensure that you adhere to the closing dates, which are included in this document which also has the dates of the courses. Note the next course admission after the dates on the list is for February 2017.
- On receiving your acceptance letter from Bournemouth, arrange for an additional needs assessment so that your learning can be supported.
Acceptance on the course is dependent on Lead AMHP, OD and Bournemouth University agreements as well as completion of your additional learning needs assessment.
By statute, a minimum of three days specifically refreshing AMHP knowledge
- Dedicated AMHP refreshers are available on this website
- AMHP five day refresher and preparation for re-approval: This is not mandatory but available only for the final year prior to re-approval. It is not necessary if you have already completed three days within the final year before re-approval.
Last updated: 23 November 2017