Introduction to autism for frontline social care staff - half day
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
This course is for any staff member within children's and adults social care.
What does it cover?
This course covers...
- What is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- importance of hearing and representing the voice of people who have Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
- Diagnoses and at the range of diagnosis and terms allied to autism, and current thinking about causes
- To consider why we talk about the ‘Autistic Spectrum’ and explore the huge variation in how people are affected.
- Challenges for people from black and minority ethnic groups of the diagnosis of ASD.
- To look at why people with Autism often view their Autism as positive, their different perception of the world as being unique and how to understand and support this view.
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able to...
- Understand the National Autism Strategy - “Fulfilling and Rewarding Lives” (DH, 2010), and the relevance of the Mental Capacity Act and the Care Act 2014.
- Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities and NHS organisations to support the implementation of the Adult Autism Strategy 2015
- Understand the key elements of Southwarks All Age Autism Strategy and how it applies to participants roles.