Communicating with adults with autism - 1 day
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
This course is for Southwark council employees working in adults social care only.
What does it cover?
This course covers..
- Different approaches to working with people with autism.
- Specific challenges in people with learning or physical disabilities.
- The impact of the different understanding and approaches to people with Autism in diverse cultures and communities within the UK.
- How to find information and resources and remain aware of current research.
- This course covers the elements in the Council's all age autism strategy.
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able too.
- Understand why communication is a particular issue for people with Autism and is related to the different ways they perceive and understand the world.
- Explain why communication issues lead to behaviours that challenge and how to help people to manage their behaviours though enhanced communication
- Understand how understanding of Autism in different adult groups, in diverse cultures and communities and in various care and support settings impacts on communication and support needs
- Develop clear individualised strategies to support adult’s communication, and staff’s effective communication so the adult is better able to express needs, feelings and wishes and be understood and responded too.