Dementia awareness - 9:30-16:30
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
This course is for...
Social workers, Social care staff, Providers and PVI’s.
What does it cover?
This course will cover..
• Facts and up-to-date information about dementia: types of dementia, symptoms, risk factors, statistics
• The common signs and symptoms of the different types of dementia and how the impact on the individual varies according to the diagnosis.
• The myths and assumptions made about dementia
• Developing knowledge about people with dementia as individuals
• Establishing a person-centred approach.
• Compensating for the symptoms of dementia – filling in the missing pieces of the puzzle
• Identifying and utilising the strengths and remaining abilities of people with dementia
• Working in partnership: enabling people with dementia to be as independent as possible, working with family carers and friends
• Recognising and meeting the needs of the whole person
• Positive outcomes: recognising well-being in dementia
• The Mental Capacity Act and Safeguarding
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able to...
• Describe what dementia is and the main types of dementia
• Recognise the common signs and symptoms of dementia
• Understand how dementia can impact on communication and how enable communication to be as effective as possible
• Explain the importance of a person-centred approach in working well with people with dementia and their families
• Understand the importance of wellbeing and positive outcomes
• Ensure people are safeguarded from abuse.