Understanding hoarding - 1 day
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
This course is for all working within all agencies working with adults.
What does it cover?
This course will cover
- The definition of hoarding and the different types.
- Why people with hoarding problems find it so difficult to discard their possessions.
- What can be helpful and unhelpful when working with a "hoarder"
- What causes hoarding behaviour, and the types of conditions that are prevalent in this
- Develop strategies to support the adult to declutter; including building trust, and respecting the person’s belongings, understanding their predicament, and being mindful of their rights to live a fulfilled life of their choosing;
- The Care Act 2014, MCA- ‘Unwise decisions’ and Article 8 of the Human Rights Act. and the duty of care to the adult.
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss what is understood about why people hoard the various causes and pathways.
- Understand what can be helpful and unhelpful when working with someone with hoarding problems.
- Understand the legal position and the limitations on our authority to intervene.
- Support integrated working practices
- Gain knowledge of what help is available, including mental health services
- Know where to refer individuals with hoarding difficulties for cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) or other interventions where appropriate.