Mental capacity act and deprivation of liberty safeguards awarness - 1 day
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
This is a Multi-Agency course for all staff employed (or volunteer) in health and social care settings, all frontline staff in Fire and Rescue, police neighbourhoods teams and Housing, Clerical and Administrative staff (including within police), Domestic and Ancillary staff, Health and Safety officers and support staff.
What does it cover?
This course will cover
- Background and basic understanding of the Mental Capacity Act and its principles
- How is the Act is used to support the Safeguarding of Adults in Southwark and Nationally
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and Protection Orders.
- Accessing further resources and information.
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able to
- Understand the importance of the MCA and its authority and how it is applied in Adult Safeguarding in Southwark.
- Feel confident in understanding the law and how it relates to their role.
- Evidence confident understanding of all key aspects of the Act, the relevance to their role and how they work in practice in Southwark.
- Understand how to competently assess capacity under the MCA including when adults have fluctuating capacity and/or refuse to engage.
- Understand when authorisation for a Deprivation of Liberty is needed and how to do this.