Navigating the organisational landscape: Getting started with positive 'office politics' - 3.5 hours
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £0
Who is it for?
‘Office politics’ very often has negative connotations. However, where there are different people with varying interests, motivations and behaviours, political intelligence will always be
necessary for individuals to carry out their roles effectively and progress their careers for personal and organisational benefit. Research indicates that the ‘negative’ aspects of organisational politics adversely affect morale, productivity and profitability and a survey
suggests that it is a major cause of stress in the workplace; ultimately not being able to
navigate office politics can lead to a career progression barrier.
Given this background, people need not only a keen awareness of their political landscape,
but more importantly, the skills to manoeuvre effectively around political minefields using a
set of behaviours critical to getting things done in a positive way, for all concerned. Political
intelligence is often seen to be a sub-set of emotional intelligence.
What does it cover?
In this session, you will:
• Gain an understanding of what ‘office politics’ is and why it occurs.
• Investigate the different types of political ‘animal’ which occur in organisations.
• Understand the outcome of negative ‘office politics’ and why opting out is not an
• Consider the benefits of positive ‘office politics’ and the necessary skills.
What are the course outcomes?
By the end of the session, participants will:
• Be less fearful of ‘office politics’ and feel they have options.
• Have information to consider their own behaviours, as well as those of their
• Know which skill areas help people be more positively politically intelligent.