Conducting Courageous Conversations - 1 day
Southwark Employees Price: £100 Associates Price: £150
Who is it for?
Managers, supervisors and team leaders who need to have difficult conversations with staff or stakeholders.
What does it cover?
Managing and motivating for individual performance
- Exploring your role as a manager and coach – how to get the best from others
- Monitoring and evaluating performance – identifying potential issues
- Analysing the common reasons why employees underperform
- Providing clear and motivational feedback on a regular basis
Developing confidence in conducting performance-related discussions
- Identifying personal barriers to holding difficult conversations
- The role of ‘self-talk’ in challenging negativity and increasing confidence
- Applying assertive beliefs and behaviour in raising difficult situations
Planning and preparing for difficult conversations
- Guidelines for preparing to hold a difficult conversation
- Key steps for conducting difficult conversations
- Essential communication skills – listening, questioning and clarifying
- Staying in control – managing your own and others’ responses
Giving Bad News
- The rules for giving bad news
- Using concise communication
- Understanding emotions and negative responses
- Helping the recipient of the bad news to absorb the message
- Separating the messages from the messenger
- Strategies for focusing on the future rather than dwelling on the present or past
Practicing conducting difficult conversations
- Rehearsing and role playing future performance-related conversations, developing confidence and competence
- Identifying where further support or guidance is needed to successfully manage situations
Personal Development Plan
- You will be asked to create a list of actions that you can take forward as a result of the training, and will be expected to take responsibility for following up on these.
What are the course outcomes?
By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the consequences of avoiding difficult conversations
- Identify and unlock the internal blocks to holding a difficult conversation
- Plan and prepare for a constructive conversation about a difficult issue
- Follow a structure on how to give bad news and manage responses
- Apply key communication skills during challenging conversations