Communicating with children with disabilities - 1 day
Southwark Employees Price: £0 Associates Price: £100
Who is it for?
This course is for respite carers in the Family Link service, social workers and associated professionals who are employed by the council.
What does it cover?
This course covers...
- Examination of communication, its importance in all our lives.
- Look at establishing a child’s communication and language needs, wishes and preferences and ensure we adapt. This may include language and/or alternative communication approaches.
- Look at barriers to communication with children, how to overcome them.
- Look at innovative approaches to improving effective communication with children whose traditional communication skills are limited.
- Look at interpreting unconscious communication from the children.
- Share ideas and experiences.
- CWDC Standards: 1.1, 1.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 2.3, 6.1
What are the course outcomes?
Participants will be able to...
- Support carers work with children with complex disabilities.
- More confidently be able to communicate with children, including those with autism to ensure the wishes and feelings of children are communicated.
- Meet the minimum standards for induction to short break care.